Wednesday 25 September 2013

"Do those come with lights that flash while she walks?"

Today I had yet another deep thought about life. It all generated from my trip to the store to buy new steel toed rubber boots for work. Earlier in the week I had gone to buy new boots and had to order in a pair for my teeny tiny feet because I go through boots like no body's business. Well, while going in to pick up my size four, mens boots I was ripped on the whole time by my father asking the sales associate if they came with lights that flash with each step you take because they are in fact small and look like a boot of a child. It really got me thinking about becoming an adult. Technically speaking, yes, I am am adult because I am twenty and mature age here in New Brunswick, Canada is nineteen. However I am not one's first thought when 'adult' comes to mind. At a mere 5'2 while standing as straight as I can, not only do I not feel like an adult but I don't look like one either. In fact I have been asked my age and called "little girl" by three separate people this week alone. One of which thought I was possibly under the age of twelve, despite my multiple tattoos being completely visible. It got me thinking about when one becomes 'an adult'. Is it when we no longer like sugary cereals with cartoon characters on the box? Is it when we realize going out on a Wednesday is not a good idea? Is it when Disney movies are a highlight of our past? Is it when we smile for pictures and don't take macho flexing or duckface poses? I think in a way we are all just kids acting the way society expects us to behave.











Never stop dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment